The simplest Chicken Korma recipe
I have always loved cooking, I learned it from my mom, and eventually perfected some recipes that have become out household staple. Abhishek (my husband) and Rishika (as you all may have guessed from my blog name is my daughter) both of them is a foodie in nature. Rishika is just 4 and a half and if I give her a plate of Biriyani (kid-sized of course), she will eat it all even if it is spicy. It is for them that I keep on experimenting with various recipes until it turns out great. Now I do not have the whole day to spend it kitchen so sometimes I just look for easier or simpler ways to cook a delicious dish without sacrificing the taste and one of them is Chicken Korma.
Korma is a creamy Indian dish where meat is cooked in yogurt and cashew paste.
- 1.5 lbs Chicken (boneless) (Cut them into 1-inch cubes)
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Red pepper powder (you can use less if you want)
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder (it is better if you can make it at home by dry roasting coriander seeds and then crushing them but if that is not possible store bought coriander powder will do too. Just that the freshly made ones have a stronger smell.)
- To taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Pc Bay Leaf
- 4-5 pcs Cloves (whole)
- 4-5 pcs Green Cardomom (whole)
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cream
- 1/4 tsp Pepper powder (Skip if you not like too spicy, or reduce it to as little as you want)
- 3-4 pcs Green chili pepper (again if you do not like very spicy food, deseed them and use as little as possible, green chilies gives a nice flavor to the gravy)
- A few springs Cilantro
- 1/2 cup Cashewnuts
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder (You can get them in Indian Grocery stores.)
Soak the cashews in some water so that they are all under water for at least half hour. After that grind it into a smooth paste and keep aside.
Wash and cut the chicken into small cubes, I prefer them about 1-inch cubes, but a little deviation is okay.
Remove stems, and chop the green chili peppers and keep aside.
Chop the cilantro leaves and keep aside.
Mix ginger-garlic paste, green chili pepper, coriander powder, salt, red chili pepper powder to the yogurt and marinate the chicken with the mix. Keep the chicken in the refrigerator for at least half an hour and up to 2 hrs.
Place a non-stick pan on the stove and put oil to heat, DO NOT wait for the oil to start smoking. Add bay leaf, cloves, and cardamom (lightly crush the cardamom and the clove, otherwise they pop in the hot oil).
Add the marinated chicken and cook uncovered. Stir once in a while so that the chicken does not stick to the bottom and can cook evenly.
Once the chicken is almost done add the cashew paste, garam masala powder, and the pepper powder.
Keep stirring and cooking for another 4-5 minutes, or till the chicken is cooked through.
Stir in the cream and garnish with the chopped cilantro leaves.
Chicken Korma is ready, serve with Naan or Jeera (cumin) rice.